Fix Outlook Error "Cannot open your default email folders. The information store could not be opened"
It's very common to encounter error messages while using Microsoft Outlook client. The article helps you learn how to fix "Cannot open your default email folders. The information store could not be opened".
Have you ever faced this error message? Do you remember when you faced it? Generally, the "Cannot open your default email folders. The information store could not be opened" error message is likely to be received while opening the Outlook profile. There are two possible causes for this error message:
- Either the OST file is corrupt
- Or, Microsoft Outlook is running in compatibility mode
First, check the OST file, You should remove the old profiles which you don't use anymore. For that, do follow the mention given steps:
- Go to the Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles…
- On the Mail dialog box, select the Outlook profile you want to remove.
- Click the Remove button and OK.
Now, you need to recreate a new OST file. Follow these simple steps:
- Launch Microsoft Outlook on your system.
- On the taskbar, click File > Info > Account Settings.
- On the Account Settings dialog box, double-click Microsoft Exchange on the E-mail tab.
- On the Change Account dialog box, click the More Settings… button.
- On the Microsoft Exchange dialog box, click the Advanced tab > Outlook Data File Settings.
- On the Outlook Data File Settings dialog box, click the Browse button to browse to the location you want to use for the OST file. Click OK.
- Now click Next > Finish.
Note: Make sure you're connected to the Microsoft Exchange Server in order to create OST file and synchronize it.
If the problem stills occurs, you need to create a new Outlook profile from the scratch.
Microsoft Outlook is running in compatibility mode
Still, if the problem continues, this means the problem is not related to OST file. Now, you need to check if the Microsoft Outlook is running in compatibility mode. If the compatibility mode is enabled, you need to switch it off. Follow these simple steps:
- Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office XX\Outlook.exe
- Right-click the Outlook.exe and click Properties.
- On the Outlook Properties dialog box, click the Compatibility tab. Under Compatibility mode, uncheck the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" box. Click Apply and then OK.
Also Read - How to Fixed MS Outlook Unknown Error Code 0x80070003