September 30th, 2020
February 22, 2022
NSF commonly known as Notes Storage Facility is used to store user’s emails, addresses books, personal journals, etc. in the proper manner. Now, the NSF file stores its entire mailbox data at one location with a user id. Thus, it restricts the user to supply login credentials to open IBM Notes 8, 8.5, 9, 10, etc.
Lotus Notes generates a client id in the format of User.id or firstname_lastname.id for each user of IBM Notes. In this application, the software prompts a User Login dialog box in which the user has to fill in their login credentials. If the user forgot login credentials then a Lotus Notes password reset becomes a necessary task. Few methods will help the users to reset Lotus Note Password.
If one wants to alter their password through IBM Notes client. Then, the users have to follow these instructions to operate the process to reset Lotus Notes password. These are-
1. First, select File – Security and then User Security.
2. Now, type your Lotus Notes password
3. Then, hit on Security Basics and then under “Your Log On and Password Settings’ ‘ tap on the “Change Password” button. Enter your Lotus Notes password
4. After that, type a new password in the “Enter new password” field located in the “Change Password” dialog box. Now, in the “Re-enter new password” field enter the password again.
5. Finally, tap OK.
In this approach, your administrator will provide a Domino Web/Internet password. This password will help the user with HTTP, POP3, IMAP, LDAP, and DIIOP access. And, also logging in to Domino Web applications and databases via a Web browser. Users can alter their Domino Web/Internet password according to their requirements. If this approach is not available to the user then contact your administrator for help to alter the Internet password.
Users can authenticate with a Domino server, by accessing a database via a Web browser. Immediately, the user will be prompted to alter the Internet password by default.
1. One can alter the Internet password by using a manual procedure. Just type the URL for a Web application and attach “?change password” at the last end of the database name URL.
For example, http://serverName.acme.com/databasename.nsf?changepassword.
2. In the Change Password screen, type your old Internet password, enter a new Internet password. Then, verify your new Internet password by entering it again in the corresponding fields. The password quality guidelines are quite similar to the Notes password guidelines.
3. Finally tap on the Submit button.
Users can use either their old Internet password or new Internet password for two days. Once the user submits a new password, provided the server user authenticates with, or HTTP is not shut down. Or, use your new Internet password and hence, the process to change Lotus Notes password has been done successfully.
If the users want to unlock the NSF file password (if they forget) by using Domino Administrator. Then, users can use these simple steps to perform IBM Notes password change operation.
Point to be noted: This method will help the user if the NSF file is saved in Shared Network Folder.
Note: When the users enter the recovery password. Their Id file will immediately open or unlock to operate the resetting of the Lotus Notes password process.
Whenever a user calls an administrator for seeking assistance. It means that he wants to alter Lotus Notes Password or in other words reset the notes id password. Then, the administrator help the user by following these steps-
Note: The file name usually will be ~~tmpid.ide.
These were some manual tricks for the user to reset the Lotus Notes password. Users can opt for anyone from them. If they are searching for other effective and fast working utilities then they can use third-party tools.
Users can use the NSF Security Remover Tool to operate easy removal of local security from NSF database files within seconds. The utility also offers the free NSF Security remover online to decode less than 5MB files.
Users can unlock or change Lotus Notes passwords by using the above procedures. These methods are efficient enough to perform the whole process. Anyhow, if the approach doesn’t work as it should then the user can prefer the alternative tool. This tool is simple, easy to handle, and user-friendly.