In this competitive world, organizations are competing with one another. Due to advanced features, Outlook has the first place in the list of top-most email clients. It is quite helpful and more effective than any other email client to increase productivity in any organization. That’s why most of the IBM Lotus Notes users want to switch to the Outlook platform. The given guide provides all the methods to convert NSF to PST without lotus notes that help users in the migration process.
What is NSF and PST Format?
NSF refers to the Notes Storage Facility. IBM Lotus Notes store NSF file known as a default database file. For Storing other elements like contacts, emails, calendars, events, appointments, tasks, etc., Lotus Notes uses the domino server.
Outlook uses PST that refers to Personal Storage Table to store the mailbox data items. PST files store all the mailbox data elements like emails, calendars, events, etc.
Most Relevant Reasons to Export NSF File into PST-
- GUI: Outlook’s GUI is attractive then Lotus Notes.
- Cost of Maintenance: Outlook has low maintenance costs on comparing with Lotus Notes.
- High Cost: Microsoft included with Outlook application, so no need to buy Outlook. But Lotus Notes is too expensive to buy.
- Technical Experience: A non-technical user quickly understands Outlook working, whereas it is not possible in Lotus Notes. Technical Knowledge required to work with IBM Notes.
- Manage Accounts: In Outlook, users can use one or more accounts, but in Lotus Notes, it is not possible. Users can manage only one account.
Now, start with the manual methods that a user can follow to migrate Lotus Notes to Outlook.
Methods to Convert NSF to PST Without Lotus Notes Manually
You need Microsoft Transporter Suite to move IBM Notes NSF to Outlook PST without using Lotus Notes. Microsoft Transporter Suite is a free tool used to transfer Lotus Notes data to Exchange Server. Then later, this will be exported to PST file format. Follow some steps to know the procedure in detail:
Steps to perform NSF to PST Migration without Lotus Notes Installed:
- First, download transporter.msi based on your 32-bit or 64-bit system.
- Install it by hitting on the downloaded setup and then pressing Next.
- Next, hit on “I accept the terms in the License Agreement” checkbox.
- Select the Transporter for Internet Mail component and search the path. Then, Press the Next to proceed further.
- Now, open the installed Microsoft Transporter Suite.
- Make a .CSV file including the following text fields:
SourceIdentity: User Email ID
SourceServer: POP Server Name or IP address
SourceLoginID: Account username to connect to the server
SourcePassword: User password
TargetIdentity: Email Address
- Next, select the add mailboxes option and import the created .csv file.
- Go to the left side, and hit on mailboxes option appears in the tree structure.
- Now, press Migrate selected Mailbox option available on the right pane
- Pick POP from the dropdown of the Select Mailbox Type and tick the Specify Client Access Server checkbox and hit on Next
- A select data range box will appear, select the all email option>>Next
- Check the preview of all the chosen mailbox presented on the screen and then hit on the migrate option.
- Wait for the completion of the migration process.
- After it completes, a box will appear hit on Finish.
Method 2: Moving NSF to CSV Format and Importing CSV to Outlook PST
This method consists of two steps:
Step 1: Move NSF Database to CSV Format
- Initially, start the IBM Lotus Notes Program
- Go to the File menu and hit it. Then press the Export option
- Now, select the path for saving the file from the Export dialogue box
- To choose the file format, select the ‘Comma Separated Value’ option and give a name to your file. Hit Export.
- Pick the required options from the CSV Export window and press OK.
Then the NSF database will be exported to the CSV format.
Step 2: Import CSV file to Outlook PST File
- Start Outlook application
- Hit the File tab
- Now, press Open & Export>>Import/Export option.
- A dialogue box display on the screen, pick ‘Import from another program or file’, and hit Next
- Now, select the ‘Comma Separated Values’ option>> Next.
- Press the Browse button to choose the exported CSV file. In the Options bar, select any one option and tap Next.
- Now, hit the Checkbox if you want to set additional settings, and then press Finish.
- And finally, all your CSV files will be imported to Outlook PST.
Manual Solutions becomes too long when executing. If you miss any step then you have to begin from the start. This is a big disadvantage of using the Manual approach. So, don’t panic you can use NSF to PST Converter utility. This is an advanced tool developed to convert Lotus Notes to Outlook. It is having an interactive GUI so that any type of user can use it without any problem.
Going through this guide, you will get to know about NSF and PST file format in detail, possible reasons behind this migration with possible manual approaches to convert NSF to PST without Lotus Notes. If you don’t want to use the given manual methods then you can use the given alternative solution. I hope you found this guide helpful.