SQLite is one of the most popular relational database management systems. The lite in SQLite means lightweight resource in terms of database administration and setup. It is extensively supported by a number of the embedded system, operating systems and browsers and many more.
As we know that the application is an open source so it doesn’t utilize any particular file extension. Due to its complex file structure SQLite database is also prone to corruption.
Whenever the SQLite database got corrupted it means all its data becomes inaccessible.
Let’s see and discuss some of the most common reasons for corruption of SQLite database file:
File Overwriting Issues:
As we all know that SQLite files are just like any other files, thus overwriting is very much possible. Additionally, several issues may arise like as:
- Running file descriptor: Because of the regular opening and closing of a file SQLite may lead to various overwriting issues, henceforth you may face the issue of files corruption.
- Restoring data while a transaction is in running mode: If you are taking any backup at the back-end of the system, then this may also generate the backup of SQLite database. As the current transaction is not completed yet so the backup work will automatically save some of the logs of the previous state and some logs of earlier transactions. And this may lead to an incongruity of the ID of the transaction and thus leads to the corruption issue.
- Hot journal Deletion: Often the SQLite uses auxiliary journal files (similar supporting name of the database) for retrieving database files. Even if you try to delete, rename, or move these journal files from its actual location, then the Server fails to find them. And consequently, you can’t automatically complete the database recovery.
File Locking Issues:
File locking is another exciting feature of SQLite through which you can lock the files of the database. Sometimes many undesirable changes take place while working with two different processes which ultimately cause data corruption.
- Lock Details Missing: File-system is considered to be the most authentic source to lock the file information. However, in SQLite database, there are some irresolvable bugs and due to this, the locks feature don’t continually behave like as they’re speculated to. Thus it may lead to corruption because of the missing file unit.
- Cancellation of POSIX advisory lock: If you are using or running an SQLite, then you must be aware that it is a default protection mechanism which is employed by SQLite and helps in running on OS platforms. The application is built in such a manner that it may be misused and corrupted. Further, this corruption happens mainly because of the system call, close(), which frequently disturbs this locking action of the data files and may lead to thread corruption of SQLite. IF you are attaching multiple copies then you may face corruption issue.
- The contradiction of two different protocols: Two different protocols SQLite is handled by two different protocols mainly, SQLite 3_Vfs and SQLite3_ Open_v2(). However, if you are using both the protocols at the same time then you will face the problem of contradiction.
- Many links to the similar files: you are attaching multiple files with the same network then your SQLite might face the issue of corruption.
Database Synchronization Failure:
Many times, we have seen that the sync command does not work properly and acts as a barrier despite making the syncopation and this may also lead to file corruption of SQLite. This process is called the VIOLATION OF acid property.
Storage media failure:
Any unforeseen changes in data /content of your hard disk drive of any other file may increase the level of corruption in the SQLite database. Further, if your SQLite is running out of storage space then it may also lead to corruption.
How to Fix SQLite database corruption
The corruption in SQLite database can lead to permanent loss of data files. If this happens then you won’t be able to open the corrupt SQLite database, unless you repair it. Before you go to repair SQLite database, make sure you’ve taken a complete backup of SQLite database.
For recovering SQLite database you may use two different processes:
- Manual method and
- Alternative third-party option
Let’s see the manual process step by step to repair SQLite database:
Step 1: Firstly, launch the Database browser for SQLite on your computer. Then press on the Execute tab of SQL to start the database check in command.
Step 2: Now write PRAGMA integrity check in the command prompt and then press the Play button.
Note: As the database file got corrupted then you may see such error message(s).
Step 3: Now press the File button on the taskbar. Take the cursor to the Export options and then press on SQL file…
Step 4: Press On the Export SQL dialogue box, choose the objects which you want to export. However, you can also select other options as well to export the objects.
Step 5: Now, you can import the database file and tick to the Import options and click Database from SQL file. This will resolve the corruption of minor issues.
Alternative Professional tool
But if you feel that the corruption is severe, the manual method is not working then in this condition you may use a professional recovery solution. And in this case, SysInfoTools SQLite Database Recovery works as a great solution. The software successfully recovers and restore all the issues of SQLite database.
This particular blog summarizes information regarding one of the very commonly encountered issues of SQLite Database. The blog also describes the best way to resolve this corruption issue along with the reasons that cause this error to come up.