Thunderbird is a safe and reliable email client which stores email data in an MBOX file format. It is a top-rated email client and contains different features like multiple platforms, open-source, server address, etc.
On the other hand, Outlook uses a PST to store data in online mode and OST to provide users offline working. It is an email solution tailor-made for your organization’s and enterprise’s communication needs. With enhanced built-in features, it’s not just an inbox—it’s more than that. If you are an Outlook user and want to import Thunderbird mails into Outlook, there is no direct way, as Outlook is not compatible with the MBOX file format. However, by performing the step-by-step procedure of manual solutions, one can migrate Thunderbird to Outlook.
Method to Import Thunderbird Mail into Outlook
There are three possible methods to import/move/migrate email and attachments from the Mozilla Thunderbird to MS Outlook. Follow the steps of each solution carefully and correctly:
Export Thunderbird Emails to Outlook via Gmail IMAP
- Enable IMAP Access in Gmail
Users can use a Gmail account to Sign In to Thunderbird and import emails from Thunderbird to Outlook. To-do-so, you have to enable IMAP access on your Gmail ID.
- First of all, open Gmail and login with the required credentials.
- In the opening dashboard, click on the Setting icon.
- Here, select the Forwarding and IMAP/POP section, then click on the Enable IMAP radio button.
- After perming the mentioned steps, click on Save Changes.
- Login Thunderbird using Gmail IMAP Account
- Open Thunderbird and tap on the Thunderbird email account.
- Now, select and click on the Email present under the Set up an account.
- Here, you have to enter your Gmail email address and password. Click Continue.
- Then select the IMAP option from the wizard and tap on the Done button.
Moreover, in case you are facing sign In errors, follow the procedure guide below on Gmail sign-in issue.
Troubleshoot Thunderbird Gmail Sign In Error
Implement the below steps if you fail to Sign In to Thunderbird:
Steps to disable 2-Step authentication in your account
- Firstly, Sign In and then press 2-Step Authentication.
- Now, enter your password again to check
- After that, click on the Turn Off button to disable 2-Step authentication.
Steps to enable Less secure app access
- Click on the Enable option for Less secure app access
- After that, tap on the Allow less secure app access to turn on the feature.
After you perform the changes, Sign In to Thunderbird using Gmail credentials.
- Copy Thunderbird Mailbox Emails into Gmail Folder
- When you successfully Sign In to your account, generate a new folder that you configured your Gmail account in Thunderbird.
- Right-click on the created folder and opt with the New Subfolder option.
- Define a name and from Create as a subfolder of and select your Gmail Account.
- Then Click Create Folder button.
- After that, copy all Thunderbird emails from a specific folder you want to move to the Gmail folder.
- Wait for a while so that the Thunderbird syncs the copied emails to the Gmail server.
- Sign In to MS Outlook using Gmail IMAP Account
- Now, open Microsoft Outlook and Sign In with essential credentials.
- After that, sign in with the same Gmail id that you used in Thunderbird.
- Let’s wait, thus Outlook syncs all the folders and newly created folders from Gmail. It may take time as per the items and speed.
- After completing the syncing steps, copy the folder data and paste it into your new Outlook A/C.
- Optional(Export Synced Folder to PST)
You can also migrate Thunderbird to Outlook by adding a Gmail folder to the PST file by using MS Outlook Import/Export wizard option. Here are the steps:
- First of all, Open Outlook and log in with the required credentials.
- Click on the File section and select the Open & Export, and tap on it.
- Opt with Import/Export option and select Export to a file, and tap Next.
- On another wizard, select Outlook Data File (.pst)’ and click Next.
- In the Export Outlook Data File, choose the folder(in which you store copy emails) from the local system.
- Then check Include subfolders and tap Next.
- After that, click on the Browse button and select a saving path.
- According to your need, select features and click Finish.
Drag N Drop Mailbox Emails to MS Outlook
Here, you learn the simplified steps to export Thunderbird emails to Outlook. And work well when it comes to migrating Thunderbird to Outlook. Follow the mentioned steps to-do-so:
Save Emails to EML Format
- Firstly, open the file explorer window on your computer and create a new folder.
- Sign-in into Thunderbird.
- Press the Shift key and select the Thunderbird emails that you want to migrate into Outlook.
- Now, choose the emails and drag-drop them to a new folder.
- At last, emails will save in the .eml extension.
Import EML Files in Outlook
- Firstly, Run Outlook and sign In with your ID and password.
- Now, to import the Thunderbird emails, create a new folder in Outlook.
- On your system, open the folders containing .eml files.
- Here, choose the .eml files and drop and drop them into the Outlook folder.
- After that, finish the importing process.
Limitation of Manual Method
Here, I mentioned the drawbacks and limitations users may be facing while implementing the manual method to import Thunderbird mail into Outlook
- Manual methods do not offer a feature to perform the batch conversion of Thunderbird emails.
- There is a need for too much technical knowledge while initiating migration.
- Chances of threats, corruption/damage of files, and data loss.
- It doesn’t maintain the email hierarchy.
- Methods are too time-consuming and complex to perform.
- Can’t import deleted emails from Mozilla Thunderbird to Outlook.
Export Thunderbird Emails to Outlook Using the Automated Solution
To migrate Thunderbird to Outlook professionally, opt with SysInfo Thunderbird Email Backup Tool. It is a prominent and top-rated utility to import Thunderbird mail into Outlook without losing any data. The software allows users to directly save the emails of Thunderbird into PST file format. After that, to access emails, one can easily import PST files into Outlook using the Import/Export option. Prerequisites:- Thunderbird installation is required.
Working Procedure of the Automated Solution
- Download and Install the SysInfo Thunderbird Email Backup Tool.
- Now, complete the installation steps and run the software on your PC.
- Check the folders from the tree and view mail data and attachments.
- Select PST from the drop-down list of Saves/Backup/Migrate As.
- Opt with built-in features of the software as per your requirements.
- Here, you can also define the name of the resultant folder.
- Click on the Path To Save button to allocate the destination path.
- Finally, tap on the Convert button to initiate the conversion of Thunderbird into Outlook PST.
- You can also download conversion reports of the process.
Steps to Import PST in Microsoft Outlook
- Open Outlook on your Windows system.
- Then click on the File>>Open & Export>>Import/Export option.
- In the Import and Export Wizard, select Import from another or file option from the menu and click Next.
- After that, choose Outlook Data File (.pst) and tap Next.
- Select the Browse button to pick the PST file you want to import.
- Click Next to proceed steps further.
- Then select the Outlook folder where you want to store imported PST.
- After performing the above steps, click Finish.
By this article, we are aware of Thunderbird and Outlook features and benefits. Along with that, understand the reasons behind the importing of Thunderbird emails into Outlook. The manual and professional solution to export Thunderbird emails to Outlook is easy and secure to implement, opt for one as per your choices and needs.