Summary:-In this blog, we will discuss how to import and copy nk2 files from one computer to another, and when a user switches computers or upgrades Outlook, then what is the process of importing the nk2 file to another computer. But suppose your NK2 file gets corrupted, and it contains the nickname for an Outlook user associated with a user profile, then you can use the SysInfo NK2 File Recovery; it helps users effectively recover their vital contacts from impaired NK2 files of MS Outlook.
MS Outlook preserves a nickname list used by automatic name-checking and the AutoComplete features. It is automatically compiled as user address email messages. The Auto-Complete List is a feature of Outlook that displays suggestions for names and email addresses; as you begin to type them, suggestions match from a list of names and email addresses the user has sent. Now we will learn about the AutoComplete list.
What is an AutoComplete List in Outlook?
Outlook 2010/2013/2016/2019 running with an Exchange 2010/2013/2016/2019 profile, the nickname list is associated with an Exchange mailbox and stored as a hidden file in your Outlook Data File. It synchronizes with the Exchange server, so cached contacts follow a user no matter where the Outlook profile is configured.
In Outlook 2007, cached entries are stored in a local, profile-specific file with the .nk2 extension. Occasionally you may want to use the existing .nk2 file in the new Outlook 2007 profile. You may need this in the following points:
- Re-create the existing profile. Erase all the old profiles and create a new one with another profile name on the same computer for the same mailbox.
- If you are configuring Outlook for the same mailbox on another computer, you would like to use the nickname list created on the first computer.
- You are upgrading your Intermedia Exchange account. Generally, this is a migration to a newer Exchange server version.
In general, you need to do the following: find both old and new .nk2 files and rename the new file with the name of the old one. However, if you upgrade from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010/2013/2016/2019 on the same computer, the existing nickname list will be auto-populated as long as you use the same Outlook profile.
Different Methods to Import Nk2 File into Outlook on Another Computer
Now we will see some importing methods to Import Nk2 AutoComplete files from another computer on a different Outlook Version in the next part.
Method 1: Import NK2 File from Outlook 2007 in Outlook 2010/2013/2016/2019 on Another Computer
If you want to associate an Outlook 2007 AutoComplete list with an Outlook 2010/2013/2016/2019 profile. Then move AutoComplete cache from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010/2013/2016/2019 by following the steps below.
Note:- Don’t use a nickname list created in an Outlook profile for another mailbox or a mailbox on a remote Exchange server (not an Intermediary server).
- On the system, navigate to the Outlook folder. Click ‘Start’ >> ‘Run’ or type in the Search field: %appdata%/Microsoft/outlook Press ‘Enter‘.
- Locate, select and copy two files called Outlook, Default or whatever your Outlook profile is named and classified as the ‘XML Document’ and ‘Outlook Nickname File’ (or Office Data File) in the ‘Type’ column.
- Note: You can attach the file to an email message and send the message to yourself.
- On the computer running Outlook 2010/2013/2016/2019, create a new Outlook profile and name it the same way. As the files exported from the computer running Outlook 2007 on the previous step.
- Navigate to the Outlook folder: click ‘Start’ >> ‘Run’ or type in the ‘Search’ field: %appdata%/Microsoft/outlook Press ‘Enter’. Paste the previously exported files into the folder.
- Make sure that Outlook 2010/2013/2016/2019 is closed.
- Go to Start > Run and type the following: outlook /importnk2
- Outlook 2010/2013/2016/2019 will open. Choose your newly created Exchange profile if prompted.
- To test whether the AutoComplete got populated into the new profile. Click ‘New Email’ in Outlook and start typing in an address from your old AutoComplete list.
Method 2: Move NK2 file into Outlook 2010/2013/2016/2019 on Another Computer
- Go to Start and type in: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\RoamCache
- The AutoComplete file starts with Stream_Autocomplete and ends in .dat.
- Arrange the items by name and by date. The AutoComplete file has the most recent date Copy the full new file name and replaces the name of the old .dat file. When stimulated, overwrite and start Outlook with all of your autocomplete data.
Also Read: What are the Causes of Outlook Express Corruption?
Method 3: Move AutoComplete cache NK2 of Between Outlook 2007 on New Computer
- Find and copy the .nk2 file of your old Exchange profile to removable media or another location. Make sure you are searching among hidden files and folders because this file may be hidden.
- Now exit Outlook on a new computer.
- Find the correct location for the file on the new computer. To do so, search for the .nk2 file >> open the folder containing the .nk2 file for the new Outlook profile.
- If the user gets any difference in the Outlook user profile name where they are moving the .nk2 file, then they must rename the file with the same Outlook user profile name. After they copy it into the correct folder.
- When stimulated about replacing the existing file, click ‘Yes’.
- Now restart Outlook.
However, suppose your NK2 file gets corrupted during the copy and import nk2 files into Outlook from one computer to another. In that case, you may try the SysInfo NK2 File Recovery Software, which allows users to fix all NK2 file corruption levels ranging from moderate to severe, providing access to NK2 cached MS Outlook contacts.
Through this blog, we discussed every possible solution to import nk2 file from one computer to another. Try suitable methods to get rid of this problem. We hope now that the user will be able to Import an auto-complete list to another computer.