Summary:-HCL Lotus Notes and MS Outlook are two email clients and they have dominated the market for a long time. On one side IBM provides users with various features like scheduling, calendaring, programming, etc., and supports NSF file formats. On the other hand, MS Outlook presents its user with all these features bundled into a simple and easy-to-use UI and supports PST files. Naturally, various organizations and users started shifting and migrating from Lotus Notes to Outlook due to its advanced features. So, you can use Sysinfo NSF to PST Converter to convert NSF to PST, or you can try some manual approaches that we will discuss in this article.
Difference Between NSF and PST Files
||Notes Storage Facility stores data in document units known as Notes.
||Personal Storage Table or sometimes Personal Folder stores complete mailbox data of Outlook.
|Maximum Storage Size
||20 GB – 50 GB
||Expensive and complicated to open
||Cheap and easy to open and read
||IBM Domino stores all NSF files.
||Microsoft Exchange Server saves all Outlook PST files.
|Email Client Support System
||Only IBM Lotus Notes supports NSF files.
||Microsoft Outlook supports PST file formats.
Here, we have learned all the differences between NSF and PST files. Now, we will discuss various methods to convert NSF file to PST.
Methods to Convert Lotus Notes NSF Files to PST
We have two solutions to migrate NSF to PST file format. You just need to check out all so that you can choose any methods further.
- Export NSF to PST Manually
- Import Lotus Notes Mailbox Items
- Migrate the Resultant file to MS Outlook
- Convert NSF files to PST file format
- Convert NSF to PST though Third-Party Software
Now, we will elaborate on each of them.
Method 1: Export NSF to PST Manually
It is an effective NSF to PST freeware conversion method. But before starting the Lotus Notes to Outlook conversion, you need to create a backup as there are chances that the NSF file might get corrupted during the conversion process. We have distributed the manual method into three stages.
Step 1: Import Lotus Notes Mailbox Items
- Launch the Lotus Notes application.
- After that, click the Open button and select the NSF file you want to export into the PST file.
- Then, click on the file from the menu and select Export.
- Further, opt for the file name > set the Destination location > Comma Separated Values from the drop-down list > Export button.
- Moving ahead, go with the additional Export options > OK button.
- Lastly, your CSV file will get exported to the desired location.
Step 2: Migrate The Resultant File to MS Outlook
- Open the MS Outlook application on your local system.
- Afterwards, go to the File option > Open and Export tab > Import/Export option.
- Then, select Import from another program or file option from the drop-down menu list.
- Now, choose the Comma Separated Values option and continue to the next step.
- After that, go and choose the Lotus Notes CSV file migrated earlier.
- In the end, click on the Finish button.
Final Step: Convert NSF Files to PST File Format
- First, open the Microsoft Outlook application on your local machine.
- After that, navigate to the File menu > Open and Export > Import/Export button.
- Then, choose the Export to a file option > Outlook Data File (.pst) option.
- Further, choose the migrated data you want to export to PST files.
- Set the location where you want to save the resultant data.
- Finally, click on the Finish button.
This is how you can convert NSF to PST files. But the above method has some loopholes which you should know.
Demerits of Performing The Manual Method
- It converts only one NSF file at a time.
- Manually converting NSF files to PST formats is a very lengthy process.
- A user must have deep technical knowledge about both files for carrying out the process.
- In addition, there is a high chance of losing crucial data during the migration approach of NSF files to PST formats.
If you do not want to face any such error, you can opt for the third-party utility.
Method 2: Convert NSF to PST
Sysinfo NSF to PST Converter is the most reliable and comprehensive solution. It helps users to convert their NSF files to PST without installing Lotus application. In addition, this software aids users in converting their NSF files to PST formats without data loss. Even though this tool removes duplicate files before the conversion process. It exports NSF files to Outlook PST files in bulk. Now, we will learn the steps which will clear all your doubts.
Steps to Convert NSF to PST with an Automated Software
- First, download and run the software on your local screen.
- After that, browse the Lotus Notes NSF files you want to export.
- You can preview your desired folder in the preview panel.
- Then, choose PST as the saving format.
- Further, set a location where you want to save your resultant file.
- Lastly, click on the Convert button.
It will convert your NSF files to PST formats in a few seconds. Final Words We are here to provide a conclusion discussed in this guide and hope you got sufficient information. We have mentioned two procedures to convert NSF to PST formats. You can opt for any of them as per your requirement.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How do I decrypt an NSF File in Lotus Notes?
Ans – You can decrypt your NSF file in Lotus Notes by following the below steps:
Open Lotus Notes > File Menu > Security in the Top-Left corner > User Security > Notes Data > choose Database > Do not Locally Encrypt option > OK button.
Q. How do I read a Lotus Notes NSF File in Outlook?
Ans – You can read your NSF files in Outlook through Sysinfo NSF to PST Converter. View and Convert NSF to PST in a few steps.
Run NSF to PST Converter> Add NSF files > Preview NSF files > Choose PST files as saving format > locate the path > Convert button.