Summary:-MBOX files are used by several web-based email clients which include Thunderbird, Mozilla Mail, etc. to store their necessary mailboxes. But nowadays, users are looking for a better platform than MBOX email clients. Users want better security features, a user-friendly GUI, and many more. MS Outlook is one of those email clients that have several features, anti-spam, password protection, emailing process, etc. In addition, it stores entire mailbox data in PST files. That’s why users want to convert MBOX to PST file formats.
In an upcoming guide, we will mention several ways to migrate MBOX files to PST files. Further, we will also highlight an automated solution, Sysinfo MBOX Converter. It will help users to convert MBOX to PST files in bulk without any loss. Before moving towards the methods, you should know the difference between MBOX and PST files.
Difference Between MBOX Files and Outlook PST File Formats
||Outlook PST Files
||MBOX or Mailbox is a file format that helps users to store messages in an organized way.
||Personal Storage Table or PST is a file format of MS Outlook and stores entire mailbox items.
||Various email clients support MBOX files, such as Apple Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, Eudora, Opera Mail, etc.
||Microsoft Outlook supports PST file formats.
||MBOX has a single database to store all information and has a high chance of losing data.
||PST files have a wide range of storage capacity to keep the data more secure.
||Several email clients opt for the MBOX file formats to store and transfer data.
||PST files are MS Outlook proprietary data files and can not open in another application.
We hope the difference between MBOX and PST files is cleared from the above table. Now, we will discuss procedures to convert MBOX to PST file.
Quick Ways to Migrate MBOX File Emails to PST Files
There are four solutions to convert MBOX files to PST file format. You just need to follow each method to clear all your doubts.
- Convert MBOX to PST Manually with the help of EML files
- Export Thunderbird Mail to Outlook Through IMAP
- MBOX to PST Conversion Process Using Email Clients
- Efficient Solution to Convert numerous MBOX files to PST Files
Now, we will elaborate on each of them in detail.
Method 1: Convert MBOX to PST Manually With The Help of EML Files
There is no direct manual solution to import MBOX files to PST files through EML files. As a result, we have distributed this procedure into four stages.
- Migrate Thunderbird Emails to EML files.
- Transfer emails to the Local folder
- Import EML files to PST
Step 1: Migrate Thunderbird Emails to EML Files
- First, open Thunderbird > Right-click on the desired folder > New Folder > mention name > Create folder.
- After that, choose all emails > move to the newly created folder.
- Lastly, you can see all your chosen emails in a folder > choose all emails > Save as button.
Step 2: Transfer Emails to The Local Folder
- Launch Thunderbird > Display the thunderbird icon with three horizontal lines > Add-ons > Get Add-ons option > ImportExportTools add-ons > Add to Thunderbird button.
- Then, click on the Install button in the Software Installation dialog box.
- Restart Thunderbird > right-click on any folder > ImportExportTools NG> Export all messages in the folder > EML format.
- In the end, choose destination folder > save EML files.
Note: After following the above step, you have to import your EML emails to MS Outlook with the help of the drag-and-drop method.
Step 3: Import EML Files to PST
- Open MS Outlook > File > Open & Export > Import/Export > Export to a file > Next > Outlook Data File (.pst) > Next button.
- Further, move to that EML files folder > Next > browse a location > Finish button.
It will help you to convert MBOX to PST files online.
Method 2: Export Thunderbird Mail to Outlook Through IMAP
Mozilla Thunderbird is a widely used email client. In addition, it supports MBOX file formats. That’s why we will import Thunderbird Mail into Outlook in a few steps.
- Enable the IMAP option in Gmail.
- Sync Thunderbird with Gmail
- Export MBOX files to MS Outlook
Step 1: Enable The IMAP Option in Gmail
- Open your Gmail account > go to the Settings icon > See all Settings option from the drop-down list.
- After that, select Forwarding and POP/IMAP option. Make sure to check whether the IMAP option is enabled or not. If not, enable the IMAP option.
Step 2: Sync Thunderbird With Gmail
- First, launch Mozilla Thunderbird on your local machine.
- Then, choose the box of IMAP (remote folders) > Manual configuration process button.
- Mention the information:
- Incoming: imap.gmail.com/ Port – 993 (SSL)
- Outgoing: smtp.gmail.com/ Port – 465 (SSL)
- Further, click the retest button and ensure to fill the correct information to complete the task.
- After that, select Create Account option and verify your Google account from Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Finally, drag and drop your MBOX files into your Gmail inbox.
Final Step: Export MBOX Files to MS Outlook
- Open Microsoft Outlook > File > Add Account > Manually configure server settings or additional server types > Next button.
- Then, your Gmail account is added to MS Outlook, where you can easily import your MBOX files to Outlook.
We have mentioned another solution to export MBOX files to PST.
Method 3: MBOX to PST Conversion Process Using Email Clients
We will import MBOX files to PST files with the help of several email clients, Apple Mail, Eudora, Outlook Express, and Outlook.
Step 1: Through Apple Mail
- Start Apple Mail > File > Import Mailboxes > choose all desired files > Continue button.
- After that, browse the location > Continue button > Done button.
Step 2: With The Help of Eudora
- First, add the MBOX file extension to the resultant file.
- Afterwards, move your target file to the Eudora directory, C: \Documents and Settings(user)\Application Data\Qualcomm\Eudora.
- Lastly, open the Eudora application > double click on the MBOX file > exit from it.
3rd Step: Using Outlook Express
- Launch Outlook Express.
- Now, Go to File > Import > Messages.
- Select Eudora from the list of email applications and then click Next.
- Then, browse the location to select the MBOX file and click OK.
- Finally, click on Next > Finish.
Step 4: Use Microsoft Outlook
- Open MS Outlook to export files.
- Now, Go to the File > import and export option.
- Select Import from another file and folder and then click Next.
- Then, select Import Internet Mail and Addresses and then click Next.
- After that, select Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x or window mail. Click on the Next.
- Choose the file to import and export from the browser option and click Next.
- Select Finish after the process is completed.
We have discussed all manual methods to convert MBOX to PST files. You can opt for any of them but the above solutions are too time-consuming. Even though there is a high chance of losing vital data. If you want to migrate your MBOX files to PST files, you just need to check out a reliable solution. I will discuss it in the next section.
Method 4: Efficient Solution to Convert Numerous MBOX Files to PST Files
Sysinfo MBOX Converter is the most comprehensive and versatile software. It helps users to import MBOX files to PST without loss of data. Additionally, it will aid you in exporting the bulk conversion of MBOX to PST files. Moreover, it does not require any technical expertise to run and understand this software as its GUI is very eas-to-understand. Now, we will mention the steps which will clear all your doubts.
Easy Steps to Convert MBOX Emails to PST
- Launch the Tool and Add the MBOX file you are willing to convert.
- After that, click the Next button and choose Emails from the MBOX file.
- Then, you can preview your desired emails in a preview panel.
- Moving ahead, choose PST file format as the Save As option.
- You can opt for additional features, if necessary.
- Further, set the location where you want to save your resultant files.
- Finally, click the Convert Button, and your MBOX File will be transferred to PST.
So, you can see that we have mentioned various ways to convert MBOX to PST. The manual method is consuming time, whereas you can migrate the same through a third-party utility in a few seconds. Therefore, now you have to make your choice and choose the best methods fitting your expertise.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How can you open MBOX files without Mozilla Thunderbird?
Ans – Yes, there is an instant solution to view your MBOX files without Thunderbird using Sysinfo MBOX Viewer. If you want to save your MBOX files, go with the Sysinfo MBOX Converter. It will help you to save MBOX files into numerous file formats.
Q. Which one is better MBOX or PST files?
Ans – PST files are more highly secured than MBOX files. In addition, PST files provide a password-protection feature to users.