Summary:-An Outlook Data File (.pst) stores all your mailbox messages and other items and is saved on your computer. However, if you are troubled by the huge size of Outlook data files, it results in the depletion of the performance of Microsoft Outlook. With oversized PST files, it is hard to avoid PST corruption. Currently, PST files are more vulnerable to corruption as they run in Unicode format. So it is better to manually split large PST files of Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, and 2007. On the other hand, you can also use the PST Splitter Tool to split large PST files easily.
Why Users Need to Split Large PST Files?
It has been seen that once the Outlook PST file extends to its maximum file size, it will affect the users’ working, and functions will also get disturbed. There are several other reasons that lead the need to split large PST files into small parts:
- Users face issues while accessing Outlook.
- If the size of the PST File increases, the data present in the file becomes inaccessible to users.
- Sometimes, users have problems managing large PST files.
- Outlook also stops the users from sending or receiving an email message.
- Once you split your PST file, it will be easier to manage your message.
How to Split Large PST Files of Outlook?
Splitting a PST file can be done via various methods. Now we will discuss those methods one by one. Follow this blog to the end and break the PST file created by Outlook 2019, 2016, and others.
Method 1: Try the Import/Export Process to Reduce PST Size
The Import/Export wizard is used not only for moving data files from MS Outlook but also to split PST file in MS Outlook. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Open MS Outlook, and click the ‘File‘ option from the tab bar.
- Navigate to Account Settings >> Account Settings.
- Click ‘Add‘ under the ‘Data Files‘ tab from the dialogue box.
- Enter your name and type as Outlook data file (.pst) and click OK to create a new PST.
- You can view the new PST under Data Files.
- Now, click File >> Open & Export >> Import/Export.
- Select Export a File in Import and Export Wizard and click the ‘Next’ button.
- In Export File windows, select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click the ‘Next‘ button.
- Choose folders to export and check the Include Subfolders option if you want to export subfolders.
- Now, browse to select the saving location of the exported file and choose from options to disallow exporting duplicated items. Click ‘Finish‘.
- Now, set a password for the exported PST file, or if you want, you can cancel it.
Method 2: Try Move to Folder Option to Split Large PST File
Users can also opt for another workaround method to split large-sized PST files using the Move to the Folder option. Follow the steps below:
- Open Outlook, click File tab >> Account Settings >> Account Settings.
- Click the ‘Data Files‘ and click on the ‘Add button‘ to add a new PST file.
- Go to Home, open the default PST file of your Outlook profile, and select the items you want to move to a new PST file you create in Step 2.
- To do so, click the ‘Move‘ button from the ribbon and select ‘Copy to Folder‘.
- Move default PST data to a new PST file by selecting it.
- You can delete the copied items from the default PST file to reduce its size.
Method 3: Use Archive Feature in Outlook for Reducing PST File Size
To split the large-sized PST files, try the archive wizard in Outlook. Follow the steps below:
- Open Outlook, open File >> Info >> Mailbox Settings >> Clean Up Old Items.
- Select a folder to Archive, choose a date to Archive older items and click ‘Browse‘ to save the Archive file to the desired location. Click Ok.
Using the above methods, you can easily split PST files. But there are some limitations with manual techniques, too, such as more time consuming, data security not guaranteed, required technical expertise, etc., for splitting PST Files. That’s why now we will discuss an automated tool that helps you to split large PST files.
An Automated Solution to Split Large PST Files
SysInfo PST Split Tool is an intuitively designed utility to split large PST files into smaller and more manageable Outlook PST files. The software contains multiple splitting options, including splitting PST files by size, date, and sender’s email ID. It is designed to fix common issues like PST corruption due to file size limitations, file management, server performance, and others. With the help of Outlook PST Splitter, you can easily split PST files, including Emails, Journals, Notes, Contacts, Calendars, Tasks, and other items. Now we will see the working procedure of this tool in some simple steps. Follow the steps below:
- Launch the utility and select the Outlook PST file.
- Check the information of the selected PST file, i.e. file name, size, type, etc. Now click ‘Next‘.
- Select the folders and the split option according to your need.
- Choose the required software features and path.
- Click the Split button to start the splitting process.
- Within a few minutes, the splitting process has been completed. Click ‘OK‘.
There are multiple methods to split large PST file of Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, and 2007 manually in MS Outlook that cross permissible storage limits or that are about to reach maximum storage size limits. Therefore, we have mentioned both manual and automated techniques for more convenience. As you can see, manual methods are no direct methods to split PST files; they are just temporary workarounds, whereas the professional tool method is the best option to split PST file hassle-free.