August 3rd, 2013
April 8, 2021
A .pst file can only be opened in MS Outlook, it can’t be opened or directly imported to Outlook Express or any other program. To open a .pst file in Outlook Express, you have two options: Import the .pst file to Outlook Express and another one is to convert PST to DBX format.
MS Outlook and Outlook Express are two most popular email applications designed by Microsoft. MS Outlook is a part of MS Office software suite and can be used in any both Windows and Mac operating systems. Where Outlook Express comes as a built-in application with Microsoft Windows NT, 2000, XP and 2003.
In the later versions of Microsoft Windows, Outlook Express is not available as it has been replaced by Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail.
MS Outlook uses PST or .pst file to save email messages and other mailbox items such as: calendar, task manager, contact manager, note taking and journal. On the other hand Outlook Express also uses a file, known as DBX or .dbx file, to store its folders such as: Inbox.dbx, Sent Items.dbx, Drafts.dbx and Deleted Items.dbx.
1. Open your Microsoft Outlook program.
2. Click on File tab > Open and click on Import.
3.The “Import and Export” Wizard will appear on your Window. Select “Export to a file” from the list and then click on Next.
4. Now select “Comma Separated Values (DOS)” from the list and click on Next
5. Select any folder (single folder at a time) from the list that you want to export. Click on Next.
6. Type a name for this new file and click on “Save Export As”. Click on Next.
7. Now click on Finish.
Save this export file to any desired location.
1. Now open your Outlook Express program, click on File > Import > Other Address Book.
2. Select Text File and click on Next.
3. Find the file you have exported earlier from Microsoft Outlook and then click on Next.
4. Click the check boxes to map the CSV files to the correct address book fields.
5. Click on “Import This Field”, and then click on Finish.
This is a manual solution to import a .pst file in Outlook Express. It takes enough time and a lot of hard work or sometimes it becomes very difficult for a non-technical user. In such situation a third-party email converter application can help you to convert your .pst file into DBX format.
SysInfoTools Email Converter is the best option for you to choose. It supports conversion of different types of emails files into different types of file formats, such as: DBX, PST, MSG and EML files to DBX, EML, PST, RTF, MSG and HTML file format. You may check its free demo version first before buying its full version.
Follow the steps shown below:
1. Run SysInfoTools Email Converter exe on your system.
2. The Setup wizard of SysInfoTools Email Converter (Demo) will be opened. Click on Next.
3. Accept the agreement and click on Next.
4. You may click on Browse to select a different location to install the setup. Otherwise, click on Next.
5. Simply click on Next.
6. The demo is now ready to install. Click on Install.
7. The demo has been successfully installed. Click on Finish.
Once you click on Finish the demo version will be automatically launched on your system. The home screen will be appeared something like this:
Now click on PST file> Next and follow the steps shown below:
1. Click on Add Files button to add PST file(s) for conversion.
2. Select the PST file(s) you want to convert into DBX format. Click on Open.
3. The selected PST file(s) will be shown in the list. Click on Next.
4. Now click on Convert to DBX to convert the selected PST file(s) in DBX format. Click on Next.
5. Select folder to save emails and click on Next.
6. Click on Convert files button and the conversion will be started. Please wait until it gets completed.
7. Once the process is completed to convert PST to DBX, you will receive a message. Click on OK.
Close the software and go to the location where DBX files are saved. Check you files. Due to a limitation in Demo version, you can only save first five emails of the selected PST file(s) into DBX format. To avoid this limitation, you need to buy the full software.
Also Recommended: How to Convert an OST File into PST Format if you are using MS Outlook 2013 ?