On the request of many of our followers, now, we are enlightening on the topic of how to convert OpenOffice ODT files into MS Word format. This blog will explain you all the possible methods to Open ODT files into Doc format. So, without wasting any time let’s look at the procedure.
Older version of MS Office were not compatible with the ODT files. So, if you are trying to open an ODT file in Microsoft Word 2007 or its older versions, then it will cause an error unless you have the appropriate plug-in. However, Microsoft Word 2010, 2013 and 2016 has started to offer native support for the ODT format, so with them you can easily open the ODT files in MS word format.
Different Methods to Convert ODT Files to DOCX Format Online
Let us discuss the various methods to do the conversion.
Method# 1: Try to Open an OpenDocument Text file in Word
For this follow the steps given below:
- First of all, click on the Microsoft Office Button, and then click on Open.
- In the option of File of type list, click “OpenDocument Text”.
- Now, Click the file you want to open, and then click Open
Method# 2: By Using Wordpad application
Follow the steps given below:
- First, Right-click on the.odt file that you want to open
- Then select "Open with"> "WordPad".
(This will not work in Windows XP. If you're using Windows XP or a Mac, you can use an online conversion tool or your Google Drive account to do the job)
- Now, Click on "File" option and select "Save as"
- Now "Open Office XML document".
- Finally, you can name and save the file wherever you'd like.
The previously .odt file is now a .doc file.
Method# 3: By Using Google drive
Follow the steps to open ODT files in MS Word format:
- Firstly, Log into the Google Drive account.
- Now you can upload your .odt file to your Drive account.
You can either use the drag or drop option to upload the files quickly, or you can also click the "New" button and select "File upload" option to add the files to be converted.
- In this step, Double-click the uploaded file to open it in the Google Drive document reader.
- Moving on, Click on the "Open" button at the top of the window.
This step will convert the ODT file to Google Docs format and then you can open it in the Google Docs editor.
- Next, Click "File" → "Download as" → "Microsoft Word". By doing this your files will be downloaded to your Downloads folder in .docx file format.
Note - In case your ODT Files are corrupted none of the above methods will open your OpenOffice ODT files into MS Word Docx format. You have to first repair ODT file and then apply these methods it will definately works.
To Sum Up
In this article, I have tried to explain all the possible methods to open or to convert ODT into DOCX file format. All the methods explained here are manual and easy to implement. You can try any of these methods to open ODT files in MS Word format easily.
Hope this article helps!!