ODS file can't be opened.

General discussion on OpenOffice Calc and its spreadsheets.

ODS file can't be opened.

Postby karate_kid » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:09 am

Hi friends. I'm using OpenOffice.org 3.4.1 on Win 7 64-bit. I have created some spreadsheets for some official work. They were good, but from day before yesterday I'm getting an error while opening them. An error something like this: "Format error discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at......." takes place and makes me unable to open the files. Is there anyone who can help me to get those files back? I would surely appreciate any help.
Many thanks in advance.
karate_kid

Re: ODS file can't be opened.

Postby djdon » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:27 am

It seems the files are corrupt or damaged. That's why instead of being opened you are having this error message. If you have created backup for those files then you can easily restore them from it. And if not, then you must use a recovery tool to recover your corrupt .ods files. You may try ODS File recovery. It is available with free demo version. It will surely recover your corrupt .ods files.
Try it once. Good luck. :geek:
djdon

Postby karate_kid » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:34 am

I haven't created backup for those files. I forgot so. Is third-party tool is the only solution to fix my corrupt .ods files? Can't something be done manually here?
By the way, thanks for your quick response.
karate_kid

Postby forforumsysinfo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:43 am

Have you ever used MS Excel? Have you tried to open those files in it? If not then try to open them in MS Excel program. See if they get opened.
Regards. :)
N. Semm
Site Administrator
To know more about Data Recovery Services, visit SysInfoTools Data Recovery & Email Management Services.
forforumsysinfo
Site Admin

Postby karate_kid » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:20 am

forforumsysinfo wrote:Have you ever used MS Excel? Have you tried to open those files in it? If not then try to open them in MS Excel program. See if they get opened.
Regards. :)

Yeah, I have used MS Excel many times in my past. I tried to open them in it, same result. The files can't be opened. Any help?
karate_kid

Postby Percy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:35 am

You may try make it a ZIP file changing the file extension from .ods to .zip. After this, you need to make some modification on style and contents of the files. Finally, extract them.
Hope this works for you. 8-)
Percy

Return to OpenOffice.org Calc