is a built-in repair feature of MS Outlook
. It is automatically installed when we install MS Outlook in our system. It is used to repair or recover corrupted folders and other data items of PST
(Personal Storage Table) and OST
(Offline Storage Table) files of MS Outlook. The file is saved in our system and it is automatically hidden. Before running “Scanpst.exe”
we need to find it out. To find “Scanpst.exe”
we need to follow these steps:
- Make sure that the Show hidden files and folders setting is enabled in our computer. We can check the settings by:
a) In Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008, click on Start > type Folder Options in the Search box > click on Folder Options.
b) In Windows XP and earlier versions, click on Start > click on Search, type Folders Options > click on Folder Options.
c) Click on View tab > click on the circle of Show hidden files and folders > click on OK. All the hidden files and folders are now visible.
- Click on Start > click on Find or Search, type Scanpst.exe in the Search box.
- Make double-click on Scanpst.exe file to open the program.
- Click on Browse to select the PST file from the system directory.
- Now click on Start to start the process. Selected PST file will be scanned and we’ll come to know if there is any error.
- Click on OK.
Now, we need to open our MS Outlook program. We’ll see a list of repaired or recovered folders and items in the left side of MS Outlook window. To see all the recovered folders we need to turn on the Folder List view
. To do this click on Folder List
on the View
menu, and in the Folder List
we’ll see all the recovered folders such as: Calendar, Contacts, Deleted Items, Inbox, Journal, Notes, Outbox, Sent Items
. We’ll also see Lost and Found
folder that contains all the items recovered by Scanpst.exe
. We need to move all those repaired or recovered items to a new personal storage table aka PST file. To do this, first we need to create a new PST file in our MS Outlook profile. Once we have created a new PST file, we can move all the recovered items from Lost and Found
folder to the new file. Once we have done with this, we can remove all recovered items including Lost and Found
Hope this will be helpful.