Can't change the entire manuscript's margins ?

General discussion on OpenOffice Writer and its documents.

Can't change the entire manuscript's margins ?

Postby FoxalTO » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:29 am

Hello,

Using office 4.0.1 the problem I have is a manuscript that is 22 chapters long and which the first 75 or so pages are formatted correctly at .076 or 3/4” margins but the remainder are still the original .50, or 1/2”. So, I tried to (re) format a page from scratch and then put the whole 375 pages on, 22 stories. The first 5 stories remained (re) formatted perfectly but when I got to the sixth story all the way to the last, every page, was still formatted at the previous margins of .50, or 1/2”. Does anyone have anything similar or any clue as to what could be causing this? I've tried a lot of stuff but none of it seems to work.

Thanks in Advance.
FoxalTO

Re: Can't change the entire manuscript's margins ?

Postby Jalium » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:12 am

Hello,

Margins are a property of Page Style. If your document is showing two different margin settings then there are two different Page Styles in use. The Page Style in use for the page on which the cursor is positioned is shown on the Status Bar at screen bottom, about 1/3 way across from the left. Determine first which is the style you want, by checking what Page Style is shown on the Status Bar when you are positioned on that page.

To see what Page Styles are in use in your document, use /Format /Styles and Formatting, press 4th icon from left on its icon bar, and select "Applied" from the dropdown on its bottom bar. You should now see the two (or more) Page Styles in use. Now right click on the "wrong" style and select "Modify" and adjust the page margins as you wish. Or, supposing the correct style to be Default, Right click on the "wrong" style and press "Delete"; the style will be replaced with the Default style.

I hope this will help you
Thanks,
Jalium

Re: Can't change the entire manuscript's margins ?

Postby MikeLON » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:23 am

Hi,

Please follow the instruction give below:
1. Tools
2. Options
3. OpenOffice
4. Appearance.
Tick Sections boundaries, and make Page and column breaks red - they then are immediately visible.

Thanks,
MikeLON

Return to OpenOffice.org Writer