What to do when icons Lost in Toolbar ?

General discussion on OpenOffice Calc and its spreadsheets.

What to do when icons Lost in Toolbar ?

Postby MikeLON » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:59 am

Hello,

I've been using OpenOffice for a couple of years and I couldn't live without it. I use Calc everyday. But now, I've messed something up.

I color code many cells and when I want to change the color of one cell to the same color as another one, I would click on the colored cell and then click on the icon on the Toolbar and then click on the other cell and it would change to the color of the first cell. I think the icon on the Toolbar was a paintbrush (but don't hold me to it.)

I have searched in all the tabs in "customize toolbars" and I can't find it. :crazy:
Another tool I have lost in the toolbar is the window where what I've typed shows up. Can't find it either.
Once I get my toolbar set up how I want it, how can I save it?
Any help would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,
MikeLON

Re: What to do when icons Lost in Toolbar ?

Postby Jill R. Lipe » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:59 am

Hello,

By default your 'Format Paintbrush' icon should be located in the 'Standard' toolbar.
Make sure first hat the 'SDtandard' toolbar was not switched off completely ('View' > 'Toolbars...' > check 'Standard').
'View' > 'Toolbars...' > Customise' > 'Toolbars' > select 'Standard' > scroll down to the icon and the describing text (by default behind 'Paste'), check ON
If the icon (together with its description) was deleted from this toolbar you will have to ADD it again first.

Thanks,
Jill R. Lipe

Postby MikeLON » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:02 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the advice. After knowing the name ("Format Paintbrush" - I'll bet I'll never forget that again), I could look in the various groups that are listed alphabetically and I found it right away under "Edit". I knew I really wanted to find it so I could use it today so I stayed up much later than I should have to hopefully get an answer right away. You sure came through for me.

Since you helped me on that one, I'll keep begging for help with another missing piece of the puzzle. What is the name of the long skinny window in the "Toolbar" that contained what I've typed in a cell that I clicked on and where might I find it hiding from me? (Probably in plain sight.)

Thanks again
MikeLON

Postby Jill R. Lipe » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:04 pm

Seems you are talking of the formula bar. It has 5 fixed elements and you can only show or hide it completely. 'View' > 'Formula Bar' !

But: There must be a cause for your strange problems. You should consider accepting acknak's advice to create a new user profile for Office.

Thanks,
Jill R. Lipe

Return to OpenOffice.org Calc