How to use Compact and Repair of Microsoft Access

General discussion on MS Access and its databases.

How to use Compact and Repair of Microsoft Access

Postby hexam_13 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:05 am

Hello friends. I really don't know how to Compact and Repair an access database. Actually I've never used MS Access. I got some database files which have to be accessed at any cost. But due to some minor issues (seems corruption) they can't be opened. I heard about Compact and Repair, but don't know how to use it. Is there anyone who knows all the required steps for Compact and Repair a database?
I would like to say thanks in advance.
:)
hexam_13

Re: How to use Compact and Repair of Microsoft Access

Postby forforumsysinfo » Thu May 02, 2013 11:14 am

Dear haxam_13, what MS Access version are you using? You should mention this in your post. You may have difficulty to find Compact and Repair feature in you MS Access application if you are a new access user. As you haven't mentioned your MS Access version, I tell you how to Compact and Repair a database in different versions of MS Access:
In MS Access 2003: First of all close you database file (if opened) and close the MS Access application as well. Make sure no other user is using the file if the file is shared over the network. After that, follow these very simple steps:
1) Open your MS Access 2003 application in your system.
2) Go to Tools > point to Database Utilities > click on Compact and Repair Database.
3) A dialog box "Database to Compact From" will pop-up. Now locate the database you want to compact and repair, and select it.
4) Now click on Compact. Again a dialog box "Compact Database Into" will pop-up. Give a name and specify a path for this compacted Access database.
5) Finally click on Save.
The selected database will be compacted successfully. You can check the database file at the specified location.

In MS Access 2007 and its later versions: Do the same as in MS Access 2003, i.e. close you database file (if opened) and close the MS Access application as well. Make sure no other user is using the file if the file is shared over the network. After that, follow these very simple steps:
1) Open you MS Access 2007 (or later) application in your system.
2) Click on Office button > point to Manage.
3) Under Manage this database, click on Compact and Repair Database.
4) A dialog box "Database to Compact From". Now locate the database file you want to compact and repair, and double-click on it.
The selected database will be compacted successfully.
Anything else I can assist you with, please let me know.
Regards. :)
N. Semm
Site Administrator
To know more about Data Recovery Services, visit SysInfoTools Data Recovery & Email Management Services.
forforumsysinfo
Site Admin

Re: How to use Compact and Repair of Microsoft Access

Postby vikky.H » Thu May 02, 2013 11:35 am

If unluckily Compact and Repair doesn't fix your problem, then you may try a third-party access recovery software. If the database has minor corruption issues, then Compact and Repair can fix it. But in case of severe corruption, it may fail to fix this corruption from database file. In such situation you must use MS Access Database recovery software. You can try its free demo version before purchasing any other database recovery software.
Good luck.
vikky.H

Return to MS Access- Help Forum