How to Create form with unique date system ?

General discussion on OpenOffice Base and its databases.

How to Create form with unique date system ?

Postby FoxalTO » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:41 am

Hello,

I'm trying to create a database of all the characters I have at a particular play by email RPing group but am struggling with putting in dates because of how the RP displays them. The format for all dates is 0.0.0.0, such as 8.13.05.07, that I am trying to boil down to just three decimal places 0.0.0, or 13.05.07. Yet everything I try doesn't do what I need it to do.
I'm terrible with numbers and don't really understand maths other than 2+2=4 so half of what I've said here might not even make any sense but any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Please help
Thanks in advance,
FoxalTO

Re: How to Create form with unique date system ?

Postby Bryan L. Warfield » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:22 am

Hi,

What do the fields in the dates represent? Or are these dates unrelated to our western calendar?
Calc will not accept input as an actual date unless it's in a form that Calc recognizes; exactly what formats are recognized depends on what locale (language & location) you're in. However, you can enter the dates exactly as shown--they will go in as text--and create a formula that can convert them to a date value, if that's what you need.
And that brings up the other question: what do you need to do with the dates? If all you need is a record, then you can just leave them as text.

Thanks
Bryan L. Warfield

Return to OpenOffice.org Base