How to convert OpenOffice documents into MS Office.

General discussion on OpenOffice Writer and its documents.

How to convert OpenOffice documents into MS Office.

Postby ch_demm » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:56 am

Hi friends.
I have been using OpenOffice.org 3.2 for last two years. I just love it. But I face problem while sending my OpenOffice documents to my other clients as they use MS Office, and when I receive MS Office documents from them I need to convert them into OpenOffice. It takes a lot of time and hard work to remake them in OpenOffice to MS Office and vice versa. Quite annoying for me. What I'm looking for is a way, method or a program that can help me convert my OpenOffice documents into MS Office and vice versa. Is there anyone who can help me in this matter? Any help will be appreciated.
Wanna say thanks in advance. :)
ch_demm

Re: How to convert OpenOffice documents into MS Office.

Postby freddy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:11 am

Hey, the documents which you are talking about must be ODT, right? Just ask your clients to follow this:
Open ODT document via File > Open, or by double-clicking the ODT file and when prompted for the application to open it with, choose Word.
Hope this will be helpful. :)
freddy

Postby ch_demm » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:30 am

I can't ask them to do such thing. It's my responsibility to provide them documents. Anyway, thanks. It may be considered. But I'm waiting for something more.
ch_demm

Postby freddy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:33 am

ch_demm wrote:I can't ask them to do such thing. It's my responsibility to provide them documents. Anyway, thanks. It may be considered. But I'm waiting for something more.

Then you may try some online converters for this purpose. You can search for them on Google as I have no idea which one would be the best.
8-)
freddy

Postby forforumsysinfo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:48 am

If you want to convert them by yourself without wasting too much time, then you may try this method:
In OpenOffice.org, you can use File > Wizards > Document Converter to convert all the Microsoft Office files in a folder to OpenOffice format. Though the information of the files will be preserved, but there may be some minor formatting errors which you have to ignore. Hope this will be helpful.
Regards. :)
N. Semm
Site Administrator
To know more about Data Recovery Services, visit SysInfoTools Data Recovery & Email Management Services.
forforumsysinfo
Site Admin

Postby ch_demm » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:51 am

Thanks for this information. Like I can convert MS Office documents into OpenOffice by this method, may I also convert OpenOffice documents into MS Office in the same way?
ch_demm

Postby forforumsysinfo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:58 am

Search me. I have really no idea about this. You may check it yourself. But create backup for your documents before performing this action. And let me know what comes out. By the way freddy has also suggested a nice thing. You may ask them to open your ODT files for themselves by using the method mentioned by freddy. Rest is your wish.
Regards. :)
N. Semm
Site Administrator
To know more about Data Recovery Services, visit SysInfoTools Data Recovery & Email Management Services.
forforumsysinfo
Site Admin

Postby ch_demm » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:06 pm

OK. Thanks for the information and suggestion. I'll definitely consider. :)
ch_demm

Return to OpenOffice.org Writer