corrupt ZIP archive

Discuss your problem related to data and file recovery here.

corrupt ZIP archive

Postby gonzy_thelaid » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:55 am

I need your help. I downloaded a 4GB ZIP archive file last week. I extracted it in my computer and saved the ZIP archive in my Pendrive. Next day my brother formatted our home system. We had backup files for our data which were stored in external hard drive. I restored the backup files successfully, but couldn't restore that ZIP archive file. Then I realized that I didn't backup my ZIP archive. But I was at ease as I saved the ZIP archive in my Pendrive. I copied the file into my system and then tried to extract it. But I just couldn't. Then I tried to extract it from the Pendrive, still I was unable. Whenever I tried to extract it I received this: "Cannot open file, it does not appear to be a valid archive". I know it's damaged. What shall I do now. How to extract it? Please help.
gonzy_thelaid

Re: corrupt ZIP archive

Postby forforumsysinfo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:47 am

Did you download the file from internet? Re-download the file. Extract it and then create backup for it for future.
Regards. :)
N. Semm
Site Administrator
To know more about Data Recovery Services, visit SysInfoTools Data Recovery & Email Management Services.
forforumsysinfo
Site Admin

Postby gonzy_thelaid » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:51 am

I tried it. But now the file is not there. I'm really helpless. Please help me.
gonzy_thelaid

Postby forforumsysinfo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:56 am

gonzy_thelaid wrote:I tried it. But now the file is not there. I'm really helpless. Please help me.

Don't worry. What do you use to extract ZIP archive: WinZip or WinRar?
N. Semm
Site Administrator
To know more about Data Recovery Services, visit SysInfoTools Data Recovery & Email Management Services.
forforumsysinfo
Site Admin

Postby gonzy_thelaid » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:57 am

WinRar?
gonzy_thelaid

Postby forforumsysinfo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:02 am

May be there is some problem with WinRar? Have you checked other archive? You must have some archive files. Just do one thing, extract them. If you can then WinRar is OK. But if not, it means WinRar is not working and you need to download a new one.
N. Semm
Site Administrator
forforumsysinfo
Site Admin

Postby gonzy_thelaid » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:27 am

I've checked. Other files are fine. WinRar can extract them easily. It means my WinRar is fine.
gonzy_thelaid

Postby forforumsysinfo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:44 am

It's great if your WinRar is fine. You can repair your corrupt ZIP archive by using its built-in repair function. Copy your ZIP archive from your Pendrive into your system, and then follow these steps:
  1. Open WinRar application.
  2. Click on File > Open Archive. Browse your damage archive (.zip) file.
  3. Now press Alt+R to get WinRar repair dialog screen.
  4. Select file location.
  5. Check on the box of Treat the corrupt archive as RAR.
  6. Now press on OK. Wait until the repairing process is completed. Check the file at the location you have selected.
Hope this will help to repair your corrupt ZIP archive.
N. Semm
Site Administrator
forforumsysinfo
Site Admin

Postby gonzy_thelaid » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:48 am

Thank you. I'll surely check it out.
gonzy_thelaid

Postby arich123 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:04 am

gonzy_thelaid wrote:I tried it. But now the file is not there. I'm really helpless. Please help me.

You may try a third-party recovery tool to recover all your data from corrupt ZIP archive.
:arrow: ZIP recovery will help you recover data from corrupt ZIP archive without affecting or damaging any data. It doesn't overwrite or replace the corrupt ZIP archive, it creates a new archive file and saves all the recovered data into it. You may check its free demo version.
Good luck.
arich123

Return to Data Recovery- Help Forum