Summary:-Undoubtedly, Microsoft is the first choice for any professional because of its unique essentials like its feature and applications that allow you to instant message and are also compatible with HD video Conferencing. Furthermore, its office applications also deal in Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Skype for Business, etc., and to manage all these applications, Microsoft offers you a cloud named OneDrive. Additionally, if you are an administrator, MS Office can manage a centrally controlled computer and user accounts using a group policy.
Moreover, You can deploy software to many users under single volume activation. But MS Office also has limitations due to which users need different clouds to store their data because it doesn’t offer you huge storage space. So this article will explain how to migrate files from OneDrive to Google Drive using manual methods. It also includes the Professional solution suggestion that allows you to transfer files from OneDrive to Google Drive free.
Need to Migrate Files from OneDrive to Google Drive?
As mentioned above, we came across know about the benefits of Onedrive and now we will discuss its limitations and why we need to migrate our files/data to Google Drive. But, first, let us understand some basic needs as a user to shift from One drive to Google Drive.
- Storage: Even though Microsoft offers you so many important applications, to store the data of these applications, you need cloud storage, which fails to satisfy the needs of a consumer as it offers 5GB of storage at the time of sign-up. Contrary, Google offers you 15 GB of storage at the time of sign-up.
- Pricing: Google Drive bids the cheapest Paid Cloud file storage with the largest free plan. For the MS Office suite, you need to pay a high amount for its Cloud file storage.
- Search Engine: If you want to search for anything, the first thing that strikes your mind is Google, and it also provides you with advanced search options to filter your search from a drop-down list. But, when we talk about OneDrive, when you type any query, you will not be able to see the results until you press Enter, and very few will be aware of the Microsoft search engines.
- Mobile Backup and File Synchronization: Where Google Drive not only backups up your pictures and movies but also your contacts and calendar events. On the other hand, Microsoft OneDrive’s backup is more confined and allows you to backup photos and videos back up.
- History of File recovery: It is one of the factors that would help you decide why you need to migrate from OneDrive to Google Drive. OneDrive keeps the history of all files for 30 days. At the same time, Google Drive keeps a comprehensive history of Google-native files and a 30-day or 100-day iteration history of non-native files.
From the above discussion, we concluded that Google Drive offers more features at an affordable price. So, it is better to transfer your data/files from OneDrive to Google Drive. So, let’s check the approach to migrate files from OneDrive to Google Drive. You can migrate your One drive files to Google Drive by following procedures.
Procedure 1: Transfer OneDrive to Google Drive by Downloading and Uploading
You can easily transfer files from OneDrive to Google Drive free by following the steps.
- In a browser, go to your OneDrive account and download the files to your PC.
- Select the file/folders that you want to download.
- Click the Download button (present on the left at the top menu)
- Upload the file/folders to your Google Drive.
Limitations and Pre-Requisites
Albeit this procedure is fast and easy to approach, it also holds some Pre-requisites with limitations like:
- The duration for downloading and uploading will be slow. Sometimes, this migration process may take up to several days or even a week.
- The process of transferring files may be slower in the case of larger files, especially if you have more than 10,000 items or 10 GB of content.
- Your computer must have enough free storage space for all your files and folders.
- You will need to download the files separately that you have shared.
- Before uploading files/folders in OneDrive, you need to rearrange these; after downloading, you also have to rearrange them.
- It would help if you had a stable broadband connection and an uninterrupted power supply.
- Microsoft compresses many files or directories when you download them all at once. You’ll need to decompress the archives before uploading the files to Google Drive if you wish to maintain the hierarchy of your OneDrive account’s folder structure.
Also Read: How to Restore Deleted Exchange Server Mailbox?
Procedure 2: Migrate Files from OneDrive to Google Drive by Drag and Drop
Although Notwithstanding the previous method is manual and is quite popular also. You can opt for an alternative if you want to eliminate the above limitations. This method is quite friendly and simpler compared to the above one.
- Open OneDrive on a Windows desktop. (Note: You must have windows 10. Otherwise, you need to install the OneDrive application manually).
- Open Browser, then sign in with your Google Drive account.
- Select the files/folders you want to migrate from OneDrive to Google Drive.
- Drag and drop the files/folders from OneDrive to Google Drive and let the process have to finish.
- Finally, a pop-up message appears with the file upload is complete.
However, this method is more user-friendly, and to ensure speed and operating friendliness simultaneously, you can go with this method.
Limitations and Pre-Requisites of the Drag and Drop Approach
Every method has its pros and cons. The pros we have discussed above its cons we are discussed now:
- Your PC must have enough storage for your downloaded files.
- The OneDrive app does not show the files that are shared with you, and if you wish to migrate these shared files, then first, you need to download these files. Only then you may be able to drag and drop these files from OneDrive to Google Drive.
- The synchronization process between OneDrive and Google Drive is very slow as these files are not moving directly from one account to another.
- This process may lead to failure if the size of files is larger than more than 10 GB.
Procedure 3: Migrate Files from OneDrive to Google Drive by Automatic Method
Albeit, we tried to unleash the all-manual approach in the above procedures, you still face difficulty in dealing with these above procedures. You can opt for an automatic OneDrive Migration Tool, as this approach allows you to migrate your Onedrive files/folders to Google Drive without hassle. It is a reliable and efficient tool that allows users to migrate their OneDrive files/ folders to Google Drive and other clouds like OneDrive Business accounts, hard drives, or PCs. However, this software is filled with various features apart from migration.
It also offers you multiple features:
- Offers several features like date filter, duplicate files for selective migration, and file filter.
- Maintains folder Hierarchy and sends them out in a secure manner.
- Allows full Preview of your files.
- Also compatible with moving your OneDrive files/ folders, photos, audio, video, PDF, etc., to a OneDrive account or multiple clouds.
Essence of write-up
In this above write-up, we focus on the manual and technical approaches to transferring OneDrive files to Google Drive with a hassle-free approach. These can give you a better approach to migrating your data. You can opt for these procedures without any hassle to migrate files from OneDrive to Google Drive. Know more about how to Fix Google Drive File Stream Not Working.