Microsoft Outlook is available for both Windows and Mac systems. However, the Windows version is quite popular among email users. Sometimes it may happen that you need to switch from Mac Outlook to Windows Outlook. In such a situation, you must convert OLM to PST format in order to access the mailbox content stored in OLM file. In this very article, I’ll show you how to do that manually or by using a professional solution.
Since email plays an essential role in communication between people, email services are highly needed in the daily life of users. There are many email services are available in the market, and most of them are free. Microsoft Outlook is one such email application which is highly popular among desktop users. It’s available for both Windows and Mac systems. But both these clients support different file formats. In Windows, Microsoft Outlook creates an Outlook data file to store all the mailbox content. This file is called PST or personal storage table. On the other hand, Outlook for Mac creates OLM (Outlook for Mac) file to store the email messages and other data.
Mac Outlook to Windows Outlook
Sometimes it may happen that you need to convert OLM to PST file format. There might be any reason for that. Below are the common scenarios in which you may need to switch from Mac Outlook to Windows Outlook.
- You’ve recently switched to a new organization. You were previously using the Outlook client on a Mac system. But now you’re using Windows Outlook in this new organization. The email messages and other data are stored in the OLM file. But you can’t access them just because Windows Outlook doesn’t support OLM file format. In order to access the mailbox data stored in the OLM file, you must convert OLM to PST file format.
- If you’re using Outlook for Mac, you’re more likely to face technical issues while editing email messages, updating address books, and sync calendar events. Also, Outlook for Mac 2011 responds slowly once the OLM file exceeds 20 GB size.
- It may happen that you find Windows Outlook is better than Mac Outlook. Unlike Outlook for Mac, Windows Outlook is simple and easy-to-install. Also, it contains user-friendly interface and requires no technical knowledge.
Apart from these reasons, Outlook for Mac has few pitfalls you just can’t avoid:
- There’s no support for HTML and RTF formats in Outlook for Mac 2011.
- Unlike Windows Outlook, you can’t drag email messages into the calendar.
- Plugins aren’t supported by Outlook for Mac.
- In Outlook for Mac 2011, a blank line appears in between the messages and contacts due to which they don’t get displayed accurately.
- It requires a great expertise to use Outlook for Mac.
These are few drawbacks found in Outlook for Mac which might be annoying sometimes. There’s no way to fix these drawbacks. The only possible way to overcome them is by switching from Mac Outlook to Windows Outlook.
How to convert OLM to PST?
Since Windows Outlook and Mac Outlook support different file formats, you can’t open an OLM file in Windows Outlook. You have two options here:
- Either you can convert OLM to PST file format via a professional converter tool
- Or you can import mailbox content from Mac Outlook to Windows Outlook manually
You should always start with the manual trick since it requires no 3rd party tool or any cost. Since the manual trick is divided into different parts, you should try them one by one:
- First, you need to create an IMAP account. You can use Gmail for that.
- Once you’re done, you need to configure Outlook for Mac with this IMAP account.
- Now create a Gmail label so that you can synchronize it with Outlook for Mac.
- Once you’re done, move all the email messages and other data to the IMAP mailbox folder.
- Finally, you need to transfer everything from the IMAP folder to Windows Outlook.
Note: Make sure you take the backup of your OLM files before using this manual trick.
Though the above manual trick is effective, it has few drawbacks as well, such as
- It may take more than enough time
- It requires a sound technical expertise
- And most importantly, you can’t use this manual trick if the OLM file is corrupt
OLM Converter Tool – A comprehensive professional solution
OLM Converter tool is recommended by professionals to convert OLM to PST file format without requiring any prior technical expertise. Unlike the manual trick, it’s quick, safe, and effective. And the best is its capability to support corrupt OLM files. If the OLM files are corrupt, even then you can use this OLM Converter tool to import email messages and other data from Mac Outlook to Windows Outlook. Other than PST format, it can save OLM files’ data into EML, MSG, and MBOX file formats.Download the demo version of OLM Converter tool for free evaluation.