How to Create form with unique date system ?

General discussion on OpenOffice Base and its databases.

How to Create form with unique date system ?

Postby FoxalTO » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:41 am

I'm trying to create a database of all the characters I have at a particular play by email RPing group but am struggling with putting in dates because of how the RP displays them. The format for all dates is, such as, that I am trying to boil down to just three decimal places 0.0.0, or 13.05.07. Yet everything I try doesn't do what I need it to do.
I'm terrible with numbers and don't really understand maths other than 2+2=4 so half of what I've said here might not even make any sense but any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Please help
Thanks in advance,

Re: How to Create form with unique date system ?

Postby Bryan L. Warfield » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:22 am

What do the fields in the dates represent? Or are these dates unrelated to our western calendar?
Calc will not accept input as an actual date unless it's in a form that Calc recognizes; exactly what formats are recognized depends on what locale (language & location) you're in. However, you can enter the dates exactly as shown--they will go in as text--and create a formula that can convert them to a date value, if that's what you need.
And that brings up the other question: what do you need to do with the dates? If all you need is a record, then you can just leave them as text.

Bryan L. Warfield

Return to Base