Issue Related to Relationships and forms !

General discussion on OpenOffice Base and its databases.

Issue Related to Relationships and forms !

Postby Joseph S. Klein » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:43 am

I have a simple database with two tables one has product details and the other has retailer/gallery info. They are related by the retailer_id. The retailer table contains a field for the particular retailer's commission. I have created a query that combines the two tables such that the list price in the product table has the appropriate commission added to it and displays in the query as the retail price along with the retailer's name.
While this is all good in the query, I cannot figure out how to get it to display in a form so that the retailer name and commission show the related values; all records show only the first record's retailer info no matter what retailer_id is entered.
What I would like to do on the table is show or enter new product details such that when I choose a retailer_id the retail price and retailer name info is sourced from the retailer table.
Also, if I make my form from the query, the data is displayed correctly but I cannot add new records or change existing records.
It is an easy thing to do in filemaker but it doesn't seem so straight forward in Base.

Thanks in Advance,
Joseph S. Klein

Re: Issue Related to Relationships and forms !

Postby Micheal T. Leo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:21 am

Use a mainform for selecting the retailer. Display the result in a subform. This subform must contain a grid control. The relations are important for the database but not for the forms. In this case main-form and sub form. They are related in the subform with masterfields and slave fields.

Micheal T. Leo

Return to Base