Unlock SQL Server login?

Unlock SQL Server login?

Postby ann_mooly » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:12 am

Hey guys,
I have forgotten my login password of SQL Server. Now I cannot access my user account. Is there any way to unlock the SQL Server login or any way to reset a new password to access my user account?
Please help me guys! :?

Re: Unlock SQL Server login?

Postby forforumsysinfo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:00 pm

You have only two ways to unlock an SQL Server login: by entering correct login password or by resetting a new password if you have forgotten the original password. You cannot use the first option as you have forgotten your password, so you are left with second option. You can take help of SA (system administrator) to reset a new password.
Is it an individual login password or SA password? If it is an individual login password, do as said above. Or if it is an SA password, you need to read below.
An SA password on SQL Server can be reset by using Windows Authentication. If Builtin/Administrator is present in your SQL Server, you can login with an ID which is a member of Administrators group and reset the password in SQL Server. You need to follow the steps given below:

Step 1: Login into SQL server by using Windows Authentication.
Step 2: In Object Explorer, open Security folder > Logins folder.
Step 3: Right click on SA account and go to Properties.
Step 4: Type a new SQL SA password, and confirm it. Click on OK to finish.

Hope this would be helpful.
Regards. :D
N. Semm
Site Administrator
To know more about Data Recovery Services, visit SysInfoTools Data Recovery & Email Management Services.
Site Admin

Re: Unlock SQL Server login?

Postby karate_kid » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:04 am

You can also take help of this article: Resetting the SA Password for SQL Server.

Return to Other discussion