Have you ever received the following error message while importing messages to Outlook Express?
“Messages cannot be imported from the MAPI client. An error has occurred.”
Or, while exporting messages from Outlook Express:
“The Export could not be performed. An error occurred while initializing MAPI.”
Do you have any idea why these errors take place? What are the causes behind these errors? Read the situations given below:
- You are going to import your emails from MS Outlook to Outlook Express. But the MS Outlook has been removed from your system before you can try to import the emails to Outlook Express.
- You are going to either import or export your emails from Outlook Express, but you find that MS Outlook is not installed on your system.
- If the Outlook Express is installed as the default Simple Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI) client on your system.
Also Read: How to take backup of Outlook Express data ?
These might be the possible causes behind the errors shown above. There are some manual solutions which can be useful in resolving the issues shown above respectively:
- If you are having problem while importing the emails from MS Outlook to Outlook Express, you need to reinstall MS Outlook temporarily as it has been removed from the system.
- If you are going to either import or export your emails from Outlook Express, you can install Windows Live Mail as you find that MS Outlook is not installed on your system. Windows Live Mail allows users to access, read and compose email messages even if the system is not connected to the Internet.
- You need to change your MAPI settings. First configure the Outlook Express to not be the default Simple Messaging application programming interface (MAPI) client. This is mainly required before you can import the mail items. Follow the steps given below:
- Restart your computer system and then start Outlook Express
- On the Tools menu, click on Options
- Now open the Internet Properties by clicking on Change on the Connection tab
- On the Programs tab, click an email application other than Outlook Express in the list
- Now click on Apply and then click on OK
- Click on OK one more time and exit the Outlook Express
Also Recommended: How to Export the Address Book (WAB) to CSV Format ?
Restart your Outlook Express and now you can import as well as export the email messages. Once the process of import or export has been completed, make sure you configure Outlook Express to be the default MAPI (messaging application programming interface) client.